Message Boards

Topic : 11/20 The Dr. Phil House: Heroin Twins, The Intervention

Number of Replies: 282
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, November 17, 2006, 12:50:13 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Sarah and Tecoa are 25-year-old twin sisters who had a normal childhood until their mom and stepfather divorced, and their world changed forever. Sarah and Tecoa say to fill the void, they turned to drugs and sex. Now, Sarah lives minute to minute on the streets, consumed with her quest for heroin and crack cocaine, and selling her body to pay for her drugs. Tecoa is currently clean, but not by choice. She’s been in jail, unable to do anything but think about drugs. She’s also six months pregnant. Joani, a former Dr. Phil guest and recovering addict herself, found Sarah on the streets and documented her days and nights for a month. Dr. Phil shows video footage to the twins’ mother, Cindy. How did she let her daughters’ lives get so out of control? Dr. Phil gets the twins off the street and into The Dr. Phil House to detox, and to get their lives back. With surprise visits from their past, a terrifying look into their future, and Dr. Phil helping them through it all, will Sarah and Tecoa commit to rehab and stay clean? Talk about the show here.

Please note: The on-the-street footage in this series was filmed by a concerned outside party and sent to the Dr. Phil show.  Upon receipt of this compelling video, the Dr. Phil show began immediate efforts to plan and arrange necessary interventions and inspire these young adults to get out of harm’s way.

Find out what happened on the show.

More November 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 20, 2006, 2:17 pm CST

addiction

I must say there are so many opinions about addiction. For someone who does not understand addiction it is so easy for them to say " put them in re-hab or just take all drugs off the streets. I was an addict at the age of 14 I started with "pot " then i started to try other things i.e acid, shrooms, I started using meth at the age of 16 My parents tried everything or atleast my mom did. I ended up in jail at 15. My parents thought if I spent some time in foster care it would MAKE me change or MAKE me get clean. After I got out of foster care I went back home. I was still doing the same thing I went to school (enough to graduate) at about 17 I was caught with drugs on school property. I went to jail again and the judge put me on probation. That didnt last long as a matter of fact from the time i was put on probation 2 months later I was in HillCrest which is a jail for kids that are under 18 and can be held up to 6 years. So they had a special program there just for addicts (they had many different treatment programs there i.e.. drug treatment, violent offenders, sex crimes. you name it they had it.) I was able to finish up my 2 credits I needed to graduate there. So I was lucky enough to actually get my high school diploma. Anyway I spent 9 months there  when I got out I went back home. That lasted about 6 months and I was right back in jail again this time I was running harder using more committing crimes. This time I was 18 so I went to county jail which was 10x worse. I spent a couple days there and went right back to hill crest. I spent about 4 months there and was transfered to a independent youth treatment center. I was there for about a year I had a job making good $ I lived with a lady who was almost like a foster mom. I went to na meeting, treatment, and was doing really well. when I left I went home to my dads. (by this time my parents had divorced.) I kept my job for about a month, I went through all the money that I had saved while in the program and I left my dads I was back in my full fledged addicion. I was 19 when I started shooting up (somthing I said I would never do) this lasted for almost 2 years when i became pregnant with my daughter. I found out i was pregnant at 13 weeks. I never had a regular period so i didnt have a clue that i was pregnant until my boobs started hurting and someone said " your probobally pregnant" I went that day and sure enough i was. I had no idea what to do I knew I had to do somthing at 4 months pregnant I moved back in with dad. I had made the decision to stay clean for my daughter. I cant say that i was perfect or that i was completely clean either my last drug use was when i was 5 months pregnant with her. I have been clean now 3years 2 months.

The reason I am writing this is because you hear peolpe say in recovery "you cant get clean for anyone but yourself" well that is true to a point. like for me everyone tried to save me: my family, the treatment centers, the judge, and of course my parole officer . I had a little taste of hope along the way though. The time I was in treatment and all the programs I did hear some things. Weather or not I applied them in my life at the time was another story. So what I am trying to say is that even if someone is forced to get treatment and they end up going kicking and screaming or even if they say that they want treatment but are not doing because they want too but for someone else. That is okay because even if they get just one thing out of that treatment program or hear just one thing There is hope. If they get out and continue to use I can tell you that they will still remember. And when they are ready really ready to live life on life's terms they will be sucessful. I went from living in filth and trash to having my own apt. a good job that pays well. I went to college. and now I have never been happier. I wish the best for these women and I pray for all people suffering from addiction.

November 20, 2006, 2:17 pm CST

11/20 The Dr. Phil House: Heroin Twins, The Intervention

I haven't seen the show, but just from reading from  the Dr. Phil webpage, I see that these poor twin girls are in jepordy,  and if something doesn't happen, they will end up dead.  These girls need this help, need Dr. Phil's intervention . I hope and pray these twins will get all the help they need.  God is watching over them, and I hope they will turn to Jesus  and get clean, let Him work in their lives.  I hope the baby will be okay when he/she gets here, too.  The baby is the most helpless victim in all this

November 20, 2006, 2:22 pm CST

Quote From: lindsay1025

Todays show was absolutely ridiculous.  I have absolutely no sympathy for those girls they brought everything on themselves.  They made the choices they did and I do not feel the least bit sorry for them.  They blame their stepdad for not being there and that is ridiculous, that does not give them an excuse.  And how can their mom just sit there and let them do that?  She said she knew they were experimenting in high school but "wasn't that worried about it"  what?  Are you kidding me?  That is the most upsurd thing I have ever heard in my life.  I don't understand how people can think that this is a normal thing!?!? It's not!  And what about the lady that was taping the whole thing?  She said she wanted to help them but yet she just sat there and taped her and watched her screw up over and over again.  I say let them go and ruin their lives, they don't seem like they want to change.  Besides they made their choices, and I don't have any sympathy for people like that.
I'm glad you're not my mother.

November 20, 2006, 2:23 pm CST

they were KIDS

Quote From: afraid

this number is too big for this problem to be put on the parents, yes a parent needs to know where there children are at all times and who there with, but you dont have a clue children are in as deep as these girls are till it hits you in the face like a ton of bricks, while were placing blame lets not forgit the kid on the corner every parent knows to be a good kid whom in reality is a drug dealer,lets not forgit the people whom grow and produce drugs in this country as well,any person that has a drug problem simpley needs to look in a mirrow there they will find the proper person to place the blame, its never some one eals that made any one use drugs of any kind,its all a choice each of us make, no mattet what reason we use for starting druge abuse, we choise to do so, the mother and step dad did not chouse drugs for the twins, they chose to use all by themselves, when i was on drugs i chouse to use,i had help in chousing to stop, but the choise to start was all mine, my mother never told me ok son you go get you some dope its ok, and if you think drugs arnt any where near you look around see how many of your neaighbors have trafic in and out all the time, no one has that many friends,

they were just kids, children when they started.  they were 12 according to their "mother".  if the parent is not responsible, then who is?  the neighbors?  the convenience store worker?  if she could not handle raising children she should have adopted them out, or chose not to have kids in the first place.  i was only in my early thirties when one of my children started to mess around with drugs.  i gave her a choice:  rehab or police station.  she chose rehab, and was there for 10 weeks.  it was an eight hour drive every weekend.  i worked full time, had two other kids and still managed to keep it together.  I CHOSE TO MAKE MY CHILDRENS' BEHAVIOR MY BUSINESS NO MATTER HOW HARD IT WAS!  my daughter never did drugs again after coming out of rehab, and she always knew she had at least three choices:  go to rehab, go to the police station and be arrested, or don't use drugs!  I chose to make it hard on her to choose drugs.  IT WAS MY JOB!!!!!!   p.s.  i was divorced too!

November 20, 2006, 2:29 pm CST

thers only one thing i could tell any parent

if you even think your child has come in contact with drugs of any type go have them tested, you can get a home test for children, if you cant afford to buy a test you can go to police stations in many citys across the usa and get the police to test your children for you at no charge, and the police wont jail your children for a positave test result, they will even assist you in getting your child proper care if you need,{ the bottom line is dont look the other way folks there are too many good ways now days to keep our children away from drugs} you dont have to wait till it gets as bad as things have gotton for the twins on dr phil today,

November 20, 2006, 2:32 pm CST

Quote From: shmigelz

I've seen alot of things in my life but I gotta say I have never seen anyone or anything as sick and gross as those 2 girls today. What a complete waste of good lives.

They look like total garbage. Look at their faces, they tell those whole story. I was so sickened by what I saw I actually had to stop eating.

Those girls need more then help, they need a miracle..  I never thought life could actually get that bad.

I know people want to help them but you can't help someone who does not want to help themselves. Forcing the issue wont solve anything, they got to want to help themselves also.

wow this is the kind of things people think and say? It is people like this that do not care to try and make a difference. I am sure people that have never experienced addiction wheather it was a family member or themselves would think that way. Or people who are completely closed minded. But I was there I experienced the hold an addiction will have on you. I have watched people die and I have watched people live and become successful people.  and all you can do is have hope. If there is no hope then what is there? There was hope for me because here I am today. This is reality, this stuff is out there how will YOU TRY to make a difference? or will you? Probobaly not because you have no hope.

November 20, 2006, 2:35 pm CST

Thank God for small blessings

I think of that of all the Dr. Phil shows this one has had the greatest impact on me. It has made me appreciate the many blessings in my life. I am a 24 year old mother of a very handsome 2 year old boy and beyond that I am happily married.

I experimented with marijuana during my first two years of college and fortunately had the will power to stop immediately after learning that I was pregnant. I looked at these twins and it scared me to the point of tears. The truth is that if left unchecked, if I had chosen that 'other path' I could have easily been one of these girls.

It is also a lesson to parents like myself. Do not be afraid to confront your kids if there is the slightest HINT that they are experimenting with drugs. Left unchecked there is no telling what horror story could be born from the situation......This show is just one example.

November 20, 2006, 2:36 pm CST

My sister just died from addiction

Dear Dr. Phil,

My sister turned 45 on July 20.  She has been ill with vasculitis for the last 10 years as a result of drug use.  I know she was a cocaine addict.  I am not sure what else she did, but I know it killed her.  She died on August 14 of this year.  She was the most vivacious, fun loving and talented person as a child.  She, too was on drugs by the time she was 13 or 14.  I tried for years to get her committed so she could get help.  It wasn't until 2004 that I finally got her committed.  She dried up and got straight for a few days, so she was released and went right back to her own ways.  By that time, she was already dying and it was irreversible.  I didn't know what else to do.  I burried her this past August.  I know my sister.  She was miserable.  If she were here today, she would applaud you for doing whatever you can to help the twins.  She would tell them what a mistake they were making based on her own, very morbid experience. I have a picture of her from just before she died, but I can't get it to post.  Despite the fact that she was only 45, her body was that of a ninety-year-old woman.  There is not room or time to go into what it did to her, our family, her marriage, etc.  If you or even this message saves one person from the agony that my sister put herself through, then our time has been well spent.  God bless you and pray that you reach the twins and others.  If there is anything I can say or do to help, I would be anxious to do so.

November 20, 2006, 2:37 pm CST

Hard to Watch

This show was extremely hard for me to watch.....I actually had to pause it a few times and walk away. I never knew how heroine affects people.  I know that Sarah and Tacoa made their own choices, but I really feel for them. I hope that they accept Dr. Phil and his staff's help and get on life's right track.  I hope that their mother will wake up and maybe try to help her daughters......whew. What a mess they are in..................

November 20, 2006, 2:37 pm CST

its a parent's job

i had a daughter who CHOSE to start messing around with drugs.. I CHOSE to give her two CHOICES:  go to rehab or go to the police station and be arrested.  she chose rehab and was there for 10 weeks.  i worked, went to school and had two other kids, all while i was in my early thirties and DIVORCED.  rehab was an eight hour drive every weekend.  when my daughter got out of rehab she CHOSE to stay clean because i CHOSE to give her three CHOICES:  go to rehab, go to police and be arrested or CHOOSE to not use drugs.  she is an outstanding mother of two children of her own, and always tells me she appreciates the way she was raised, and she is raising her children the same way:  WITH LOVE, ATTENTION AND A CLOSE EYE!  TRUST ME, IT IS THE EASIEST AND SAFEST WAY TO RAISE A CHILD!

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | Next | Last