Message Boards

Topic : Exercise

Number of Replies: 272
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, July 01, 2005, 12:36:32 pm
Author : dataimport
A staple of any weight loss plan is moderate daily exercise. Pilates, yoga, and aerobics are hugely popular, along with good old-fashioned walking! What exercises do you find most effective? Share your routine with us!

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 7, 2006, 2:43 pm CDT

let us work together

Quote From: mu86neer

According to what u have written in ur posted message i think u imply that u have bad thoughts about ur body , ur from usa so that u r  enough free to have more than one hour walk to anywhere u want , let me tell me about my 19 years old sister she always tells me about her biggest fear which is if she gains weights her husband will lose  interest in her, it is absolutely Not reasonable so it made her very very skinny ,,(like poor black african childern ) please don't make this mistake and beleive me it begins like that ..However my sister is healthy now ..and we give thanks to god .... bye

you r just like me 2 weeks ago i use to do the same thing so i know what u are feeling inside .I believe that like me u can give up on those bad habbits , i know i did it was really hard and still is ,i can see and feel the bigger picture even though i've just begun and i want u 2 feel the way i felt when i visited the doc yesterday and she told me i lost a few pounds believe me its worth it .GIVE UP THAT JUNK FOOD AND EXERCISE idid so can u

October 13, 2006, 1:20 pm CDT

question about weight / teen / thyroid problems etc

I alway hear dr phil telling people of underlying medical issue when losing weight-- WHAT ARE YOU SUPPOSE TO DO IF YOU HAVE ONE OF THESE.   I workout 5 days aweek 3 days weight training/ day aerobics/ yoga/tai chi,  i eat low fat /no white foods etc etc, I have a thryoid problem (very bad ) my teen daughter has the same problem  my question is-- how do you lose weight  with a medical problem, who do you see?  Thanks for any answer-- I really wish doctor Phil would do a episode on having a medical isssue and losing weight  -- but I don't think that will happen. 

October 18, 2006, 5:30 am CDT

New to weight loss and love it

I am 34 yrs old with two boys and was not blessed like some women are to pop out children and regain there pre-pregnant body. My hips have decided to do there own thing and so has my stomach.

But I started to feel tried all the time and just wanted to do nothing. I just kept buying bigger clothes and getting mad when ever my husband would stop looking at me like he did we we first married.

We have a local Curves in my little town. And one day I walked in and since then I have not walked out. If you heard about Curves it is GREAT. If not it's just for women who are there for the same reason as you are. And a great support group.

I joined in June of this yr and since then I have lost almost 20 pounds and 15 inches. I started there wearing a size 14 and now I am in a size 10. I only have two more sizes to get into. The husband that didn't look at me the same is now noticing what I have been working so hard on. And told me when I get to where I want to be I can go on a shopping spree for I will need all new clothes he tells me. He is behind me 100% and if I need a little support at home he is right there.

Today I enjoy looking at myself. My hips are starting to listen to me, and I can actual start seeing my hips that were covered by my belly for so long.

Anybody need support I will listen to you and help support. You will not believe how much better you will feel just by doing a little weight.

Krista

October 23, 2006, 6:55 am CDT

more out of shape than i thought

I finally moved my treadmill into the living room. (now I can watch tv and walk instead of just watching tv) I got on it and walked .40 miles and decided to run .10 to make it a 1/2. I wanted to fall when i got done. I keep telling myself 'u can do it!' I can't believe i can barely run 1/10 of a mile. It took me 15 minutes just to go 1/2 a mile...and i ran part of it. I remember in highschool I had to do the mile in less than 12 minutes or i got a failing grade. how the hell did i do that? I'm still breathing hard and it's been 5 minutes since i stopped. I never thought i'd be this bad at only 21 yrs old.

November 2, 2006, 11:31 pm CST

Exercise

I get angry hearing and seeing so many shows and advertisements about exercising to get rid of unwanted pounds.  And, yes, I agree to a point.  But what about somebody coming up with a program for people that can't just get up and exercise away those extra pounds?  I'm a soon to be 56 year old woman and I have had a weight problem for most of my life.  And at one time I finally managed to get down to the weight I was supposed to be.  Unfortunately, I have gained that weight back and I would like to find an exercise program that will work for me.  I have osteoarthritis in my lower back, hips and knees.  I have also recently been diagnosed with fibromyalgia.   And I have bi-lateral overuse syndrome of both arms from the elbows down to my hands.  So what is someone like me supposed to do?  And why aren't there any exercise tapes out there for someone with disabilities like the ones I've mentioned?

November 14, 2006, 12:52 pm CST

hi

Quote From: mu86neer

unfortunately i guess what ur doctor told u wasn't the perfect advice he should give a woman in ur case ... the trouble is riding bikes at this age is quite noisy to u . however u can have diet with two hours walk aday  rather than ridding bikes .  remember having diet doesn't mean u die of hunger , u have choices such as the indonesia style it is the best ... thank you

look i know i need to loose weight dear and i know i wont die from hunger i barely eat as it is my doc felt that sense i am over weight that it would be better to have a bike ride better on the joints. im twenty seven years old so i didnt understand alot of your comment i was asking if any body knew of a cheap bike which i found thank you oh and by the way i love walking i walk with my family all the time its one of my fav. things to do

November 16, 2006, 12:44 pm CST

DON'T GIVE UP

Quote From: roses333

im a 23 year old female who has been battling weight gain from the time i was eight years old  and i love Dr phil and he really motivates me so im making one last try to loose excess weight because i would like to feel happy about myself and also be proud of myself and what i can achieve. i started exercising 2 weeks ago and changed my diet drastically and i have last 3 pounds but its hard to  keep up so i need some help
 PLEASE DON'T GIVE UP.  IT TAKES TIME.  I have been following Dr. Phil's plan for the last three months and I have lost 40 lbs.  I exercise 30 minutes a day and walk 2 miles 3 times a week.  I am 43 and have like yourself always had to battle with a weight problem.  I feel that if I can do it anyone can.  SO PLEASE DON'T GIVE UP.

December 1, 2006, 2:01 pm CST

Exercise help!!

This is my first message on the message board. I watched Dr. Phil today and I could relate to Angelique. I love food. But I also know that it is not good for me and I want to be able to do things with my 10 year old grandson. I miss out on so much because I can not physically do so much. I do have a good idea about what I need to eat and not eat. BUT.. what do I do for exercise? I can not do so much of what "EVERYONE" says that you "should" do. I can walk for a short amount of time but really do not know what to do. This is so depressing to me. So it is like, why worry about what I am eating if I can't do the exercise part. It is so easy to give up. It is so easy to fall into this cycle. There are other issues going on in my life that I am struggling with and food "makes me feel better". I know that sounds crazy but it is the truth. Where do I start? How do I start? Any suggestions for me? I am open to any ideas!

December 2, 2006, 8:45 am CST

Exercise

Quote From: rosesblondie

This is my first message on the message board. I watched Dr. Phil today and I could relate to Angelique. I love food. But I also know that it is not good for me and I want to be able to do things with my 10 year old grandson. I miss out on so much because I can not physically do so much. I do have a good idea about what I need to eat and not eat. BUT.. what do I do for exercise? I can not do so much of what "EVERYONE" says that you "should" do. I can walk for a short amount of time but really do not know what to do. This is so depressing to me. So it is like, why worry about what I am eating if I can't do the exercise part. It is so easy to give up. It is so easy to fall into this cycle. There are other issues going on in my life that I am struggling with and food "makes me feel better". I know that sounds crazy but it is the truth. Where do I start? How do I start? Any suggestions for me? I am open to any ideas!

This is my first message too so I hope I'm doing it right.

My thoughts to you would be just do anything where you are moving and do as much as you can comfortably do. Don't worry one little bit about what anybody else says you "should" do. I personally hate competing anyway. I started out with walks on a walking path at the local park. Sometimes someone would walk by me and start up a conversation. That's fine but when I was asked how many laps I did I felt like they were asking me to brag that they did more. So I just answered, "Oh I don't know. I just walk until my time is up or until I feel like stopping." Some would actually persist and I'd just shrug my shoulders like well "I don't count them" and smile sweetly.

How about a pedometer to count how many steps you take and you can build up to more and more steps? Every step you take is recorded. You can buy a pedometer at the drug store and hook it on your slacks. My favorite is dancing or moving to music. I just turn on my favorite tunes and my body seems to know what to do, lol. Just taking a walk is good. I love to walk. I take my granddaughter for stroller rides too.

It has to be something you like. I use the "no excuses" exercise plan. I exercise 6 days a week whether I like it or not and now I do. Anything will work as long as you are moving and just build up to doing a little more. Hope that helps.

Kari

December 15, 2006, 10:10 am CST

Exercise

im 22 and have always been overweight, i used to be in shape though because i have always been a successful athlete even through college. in the off season i would run and lift and i was never skinny but was always happy. i had my first child 5 weeks ago and im raising her alone right now. im exhausted and try to exercise but im too tired, i hate it. i dont mind being thick but i hate being flabby. i always had high energy and now my legs are just so tired any suggestions?

First | Prev | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | Next | Last